Celebrating the marriage of
Katherine Charleswirth Gehron and Robert Scott Wintersteen
in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania on September 24, 2022
Wedding Weekend Overview
You are welcome to join us for a variety of activities during our marriage celebration weekend. Here is a quick overview of the currently planned festivities.
Friday, September 23
- Afternoon welcome hike: We plan on hiking one of our favorite trails in Ricketts Glen State Park. The hike is just over seven miles and has views of 20 waterfalls.
- Evening welcome party: We will be hosting a casual welcome with refreshments at the Turkey Hill Brewing Company.
Saturday, September 24
- Afternoon ceremony: Our ceremony will be taking place at the Barn at Greenwood. Shuttle bus service will be provided to and from the hotels identified in the travel and accommodations section.
- Evening reception: A cocktail hour, dinner, and reception will immediately follow the ceremony at the same location.
Sunday, September 25
- Breakfast at the fair: Please join us for a Wintersteen family tradition of sunrise breakfast at the Bloomsburg Fair. We plan on taking the day to wander around the fair and we welcome you to do the same!
Travel and Accomodation
We have chosen one of the most fun and busiest weekends in Bloomsburg – fair week! That being said, if you plan on attending our celebration, we would highly recommend booking at least your hotel as far in advance as possible.
- The Hampton Inn at Bloomsburg: We are currently coordinating to get a hotel block at this location. The shuttle bus service to the ceremony and reception will be provided from this location.
- Fairfield Inn and Suites in Bloomsburg: We are currently coordinating to get a hotel block at this location. The shuttle bus service to the ceremony and reception will be provided from this location.
- The Inn at Turkey Hill: Please check out the Inn at Turkey Hill. As of September 2021, they are already fully booked for the weekend of our wedding.
- Other options: There are a variety of other lodging options in the Bloomsburg, including AirBnBs.
Airports: The closest airports (in order of mileage) are:
- Wilkes-Barre Scranton International Airport (AVP): 50 miles
- Harrisburg International Airport (MDT): 85 miles
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL): 145 miles
- Newark International Airport (EWR): 145 miles
How we met: Katie emailed Rob on his birthday in 2018 to schedule an interview for him with Peace Corps’ Africa Region. Katie still says that Rob’s interview was one of the best that she has ever sat on (Katie’s note: she was not the hiring manager on this panel!). Before Rob was fully cleared, the longest government shutdown in US history took place. Once he got onboard, we both found ourselves enjoying the conversations we were having and met up for drinks after work with a larger work cohort. We both quickly realized that we were interested in being exclusive. We moved in together in March 2020, just one week before all Peace Corps Volunteers were evacuated due to the pandemic and before DC implemented their COVID restrictions.
The proposal: Rob planned a week long birthday trip up in New Hampshire for Katie’s birthday. He had been planning it since the summer before with the help of his friends from Peace Corps/Zambia, Chad and Aubrey. At the top of the Flume Gorge, he dropped down on one knee and asked the question. Through tears, Katie said yes.
Here are a few of our favorite photos of the two of us!